Andy left New York on Monday, September 20. Here is our little tribute to New York. Although we love being closer to family, we really miss the city . . . who knew?
Here are some things we have taken away from living in New York City:
1. We learned how to live in a small space. Our whole apartment worth of boxes takes up a "tiny baby space" of the Hendrickson basement.
2. We learned how to tune out and sleep through loud noises.
3. We learned how to hail a cab. We also learned that it is ok to steal a cab if the alternative is giving birth to a child on the corner of 9th and 42nd street.
4. We learned what a schlepping cart is.
5. I got to pretend I was J. Lo while riding on the 6 Train to get to work everyday. . . I would have to say a priceless experience- both for me and for the other passengers.
6. We had the pleasure of meeting and making friends with the local homeless men that frequented the bar below our apartment.
7. We learned that Thursday night is Karaoke Night at Dave's Tavern (below our apartment) . . . be sure to stop by if you are in town.
8. I learned not to make eye contact with just any old crazy person. They will try to become your friend and offer their own name for your unborn child. Macy could have been named Dan-e-ka (long E sound).
9. We have determined that the best slice of pizza can be found at Famous Amadeus.
10. We learned that in New York you stand on line, not in line.
11. We were able to spot the following celebrities during our time in NYC:
Barry Williams, Hoda Kotb, Richard Belzer and Ice-T, Mario Lopez
12. We learned that rats not only frolic along the tracks of the Subway, but also often walk along the platform as if they were people. Is it weird that sometimes I was the only one that seemed to be concerned by this?
13. We hadn't lived in New York we wouldn't have had the physicians, medicine, and insurance necessary to have Macy. If that was the only thing we took from living in NYC, it would have been more that worth it.
14. And finally, we learned that if you can make it there, you really can make it anywhere.
6 comments:
So what exactly IS a schlepping cart??? Haha
I seriously am so jealous that you two got to spend a few years in NYC. I know a lot of people who can only dream about doing that. you are very lucky!!!
I second what sarah said.
What a fun experience! Thank you so much for your sweet post on my blog....I wish we lived closer so we could get to know each other better....
That pizza is fabulous and I really want to eat a piece right now actually. And the homeless doorman was really nice.
I loved your doorman...he was very nice...as were all the people we met outside of your door. It was so fun to visit you there but I am glad you are here now...but want to figure out how we can all go together for a family reunion in NYC.
Post a Comment