Friday, January 30, 2009

The Recession and Andy

So I met with one of my professor's yesterday before class. And here is what I learned about the different career options.

1. Health Clubs- During a recession the number of club memberships goes up (that and the number of alcoholics). However what people cut out is personal training and group classes. So entering the training business without an established clientele is very difficult.

2. Corporate Fitness- It was very popular for large companies to add a gym to their building recognizing the positive effects. But when the company hits economic trouble guess what is the first thing to be cut.

3. K-12- Many schools right now are faced with a dilemma, they have no money which mean something needs to get cut.
A. Cut Health and PE (which is why I am school right now)
B. Cut or limit sports, which means getting into coaching right now is hard.
C. Cut the Salary of the teachers (many schools have done this) which forces teachers into extracurricular activities to supplement their salary.

4. Coaching in College- This is still a possibility, but I cannot find a place where I can now, because I have class during practice.

5. Work for the Military- They perform lots of tests to determine health. But I know nothing about this. But working for the Government is not a bad situation.

6. Continue on to another University- With this comes two options.
A. Start working on a PhD with the intention to become a professor.
B. Try to start teaching at a school that does not require a PhD.

So here is my update on our current situation. Stefany and I are having a fun time looking at many options. *note if she was not such a hard worker we would be in trouble.

Now once the Obama health plan (where Prevention becomes the focus) is enacted, I will hopefully become quite marketable.

Just think that there is a 17% chance that you will be calling me Dr. Andy in 5 years.

7 comments:

sarah jean said...

no we need to give you a better name..... i've got it.... Mcbaldy!!!

Anonymous said...

Well, I always thought that Dr. Andy sounded good...whatever you do you will be fantastic. But saying that my son is a doctor always sounds fabulous...but you could not write me prescriptions. Rats!!!

NCAA2PROSPORTS said...

If Stefany became a psych NP she could write prescriptions for you.

Papa D said...

The college professor life style is a pretty good one!

Anonymous said...

I do not think Stefany Rosita wants to be my psych NP...that is a full time job...ask Howard...I think I paid for their lake cabin.

NCAA2PROSPORTS said...

If it would get us a Lake Cabin, she just might be interested

Becca and Ashton said...

be a bum.