Sunday, September 30, 2012

Blessings


This week I am thankful for the Atonement of Jesus Christ. I was reminded at the General Relief Society Meeting last night that the Atonement covers more than just our sins.

Sister Carole M. Stephens, First Counselor in the Relief Society General Presidency, said the following in her talk:

They [the early Saints] knew deep in their hearts that there was one — the Savior — who understood their personal adversity because He suffered it for them in the Garden of Gethsemane. He felt their fear, their doubt, their pain, and their loneliness. He suffered their sorrows, their persecution, their hunger, their fatigue and their loss.

Elder Kent F. Richards of the Seventy said the following in his talk at General Conference in April 2011:
 
Much of our suffering is not necessarily our fault. Unexpected events, contradicting or disappointing circumstances, interrupting illness, and even death surround us and penetrate our mortal experience. Additionally, we may suffer afflictions because of the actions of others. Lehi noted that Jacob had “suffered … much sorrow, because of the rudeness of [his] brethren.” Opposition is part of Heavenly Father’s plan of happiness. We all encounter enough to bring us to an awareness of our Father’s love and of our need for the Savior’s help.
The Savior is not a silent observer. He Himself knows personally and infinitely the pain we face.
“He suffereth the pains of all men, yea, the pains of every living creature, both men, women, and children.”
“Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.”
Sometimes in the depth of pain, we are tempted to ask, “Is there no balm in Gilead; is there no physician there?” I testify the answer is yes, there is a physician. The Atonement of Jesus Christ covers all these conditions and purposes of mortality.
 
I am thankful to know that no matter what I am going through, I am never alone. Jesus knows how I am feeling and can help me through it. It's never easy to go through trials. It is hard when we are in the midst of our trials to understand why we are going through what we are asked to endure. I have found that I never know the reasons for my trials until they have passed and I can look back and see that they have sent me on a better path and have resulted in wonderful blessings. Because I can't see the good until after, it is good for me to know that when I am struggling Jesus is there to "comfort me when faint . . . to hear my soul’s complaint . . . to silence all my fears . . . to wipe away my tears . . . to calm my troubled heart" (Hymns, I Know That My Redeemer Lives, no. 136) until I get to the other side of the obstacle and have a better understanding of why it happened (although Andy often reminds me that we may never know why or understand our trials in this life). I am very thankful for this reminder this week. I am thankful for the Atonement of Jesus Christ, for His Church, for Prophets and Apostles who guide us in these latter-days, and also for trials. I know that it is through our trials that we can draw closer to our Heavenly Father and Jesus and become more like them.

For any of my friends who aren't familiar with what I believe, you can learn more about it here.

3 comments:

sarah jean said...

That was beautiful. Brought a little tear to my eye. Love you.

Denny and Denise said...

It brought tears to my eyes as well...why can I not read these things and cry...because it touches my heart so deeply. Stefany, thank you for this post...love you.

Papa D said...

Very well said!